Advanced Training Course
Justice in family relationships and children and youth custody
October 22 to 30, 2010
Seminar Room (2nd Floor), CES - Coimbra
In a century that should be dedicated to the supremacy of the child as a full legal person, it is necessary to discuss the main themes which mark their existence, so often unprotected and unfortunate, making it in an integrated, multidisciplinary and systematic way .
In result of the change to the Civil Code by the Act no. 61/2008, of October 31st, many of the Portuguese paradigms for divorce and parental responsibility related to underage children have changed.
What has been publicly discussed, so many times and without being properly informed, and always full of clichés, is the always unstable balance between blood and affections.
There is a need to talk about foster families, adoption, child sponsorship and custody, institutions (some younger than others) which support the protection structure in Portugal, innovated by the implementation of Acts no. 147/99, of September 1st, and 166/99, of September 14th.
We are concerned with juvenile delinquency. It is difficult for us to hear children in legal offices every day. Family violence, with all its variants, is, still, a pressing matter.
In this Advanced Training Course second edition, we intend to discuss these issues, refocusing children status under the social and legal changes.
Open to judges and public prosecutors, attorneys, criminal police organs, university students, technicians from the Social Reintegration and Social Security services and from state institutions, other organizations (namely in the areas of childhood and youth) and NGOs, media and postgraduate students (Master's and Doctoral Degree).
• Paulo Guerra (ASJP)
• Madalena Duarte (CES/OJP of the University of Coimbra)
Venue and Logistics
This training course will take place at Centre for Social Studies of the University of Coimbra – Colégio de S. Jerónimo – Coimbra.
There is the possibility of accomodation at "Casa do Juiz", in Bencanta, Coimbra (limited number of bookings).
If interested, please contact: email@example.com
Deadline for registration
October 20th, 2010
Modes of registration
• General (160 Euros)
• ASJP associates benefit from a 30% discount (112 Euros) – on registration form, select "Associado da ASJP".
• SMMP members benefit of a 10% discount (144 Euros), under the agreed protocol – on registration form, select the option "Sindicalizado do SMMP".
• Lawyers and Trainee Lawyers registered in District Councils of Coimbra, Évora, Lisboa and Porto benefit of a 10% discount (162 Euros), under the agreed protocol. - On registration form, select "advogado/advogados estagiários".
Phone: 239 855 570/72/74
Fax: 239 855 589
October 22nd (Friday)
14:30 – 18:00
Theme: The CHILD status and the new directions of Family Law
• Guilherme de Oliveira, Professor at the School of Law of the University of Coimbra
• Rosa Martins, School of Law of the University of Coimbra
October 23rd (Saturday)
9:30 – 11:00
Theme: The child as legal person
• Álvaro Laborinho Lúcio, Judge of Appeal
11:30 - 13:00
Theme: The hearing of children - techniques and strategies
• Catarina Ribeiro, Catholic University of Porto
14:30 – 18:00
Theme: The violence in family relationships - and integrated perspective
• Madalena Duarte, CES/OPJ of the University of Coimbra
• Joana Marques Vidal, Deputy Attorney General and President of APAV Board of Directors
• Margarida Medina Martins, Representative from the Association of Women Against Violence (AMCV) - Portugal
October 29th (Friday)
14:30 – 18:00
Theme: Children and youth protection legal system - current perspectives and future challenges
• Helena Bolieiro, Judge
• Rui do Carmo, Attorney General
October 30th (Saturday)
9:30 - 13:00
Theme: Parental responsibility and the new legal model
• Paulo Guerra, Judge
• Helena Gonçalves, Attorney General
14:30 – 17:30
Theme: Educational Law - challenges and constraints
• Leonor Furtado, Director-General of the Social Reintegration Directorate-General
• Maria João Leote de Carvalho, Sociologist